Story Codes, extreme-ped(o)
Tim Merrigan
2012-09-16 21:20:25 UTC
I don't know who is in charge of the story code list now (maybe it's
gone back to Uther, now that he's back). I've been reading stories on
ASSTR and other places for a couple decades now, and have had a
complaint for that entire time. That is when I see a story coded
"extreme-ped" and it turns out the character is 8, 9, even 12 years
old. That's "ped" or "pedo", not extreme. Extreme-ped would be
babies and toddlers. I propose that a new listing be added to the
story codes, if it's not there already, that "extreme-ped" refer to
children under six (picking an arbitrary dividing line between toddler
and child).
Uther Pendragon
2012-09-17 16:27:41 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
I don't know who is in charge of the story code list now (maybe it's
gone back to Uther, now that he's back).  I've been reading stories on
ASSTR and other places for a couple decades now, and have had a
complaint for that entire time.  That is when I see a story coded
"extreme-ped" and it turns out the character is 8, 9, even 12 years
old.  That's "ped" or "pedo", not extreme.  Extreme-ped would be
babies and toddlers.  I propose that a new listing be added to the
story codes, if it's not there already, that "extreme-ped" refer to
children under six (picking an arbitrary dividing line between toddler
and child).
1) I'm not in charge, but ASSTR still has my old posting on file. I
expected BD to take it up and for ASSTR to change the URL. It seems to
go fine with no changes.

2) "Exteme Ped" was never a story code.

3) The story codes are mostly a report of what is BEING DONE. The
"story codes for authors," for which I was heavily criticized, did
have advice as to what among the codes that were being used would be
best, but that was an attempt to make the consensus more universally
used. I invented one story code and entered it into the code list
immediately; I was damned for that, although the "wl" code was non-
obviou.

BTW: The "story codes for authors" page is downloaded about 1400 to
1500 times a week. I can't imagine why. "Story codes for readers"
usually runs significantly less.
Tim Merrigan
2012-09-17 20:40:47 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
I don't know who is in charge of the story code list now (maybe it's
gone back to Uther, now that he's back). I've been reading stories on
ASSTR and other places for a couple decades now, and have had a
complaint for that entire time. That is when I see a story coded
"extreme-ped" and it turns out the character is 8, 9, even 12 years
old. That's "ped" or "pedo", not extreme. Extreme-ped would be
babies and toddlers. I propose that a new listing be added to the
story codes, if it's not there already, that "extreme-ped" refer to
children under six (picking an arbitrary dividing line between toddler
and child).
Adding curlies, had Agent set to do it automatically on my previous
computer.
Doug
2012-09-18 17:22:43 UTC
On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 14:20:25 -0700, Tim Merrigan <***@ca.rr.com>
wrote:

Why not use Nepi for Nepiophilia?
and child).
Tim Merrigan
2012-09-20 20:07:25 UTC
Post by Doug
Why not use Nepi for Nepiophilia?
I have no objection to that, my complaint is about writers misusing
extreme-ped when they mean ped or pedo.